You are out with your friends or people you have just met. At this time, you realise that you have run out of things to say or have no idea what to start talking about. This is when you will wish that you have something interesting to talk about just to break the silence. That is why it’s always handy to have some fun facts ready to go. Here are some fun facts about swimming that may turn out to be helpful.
1. Swimming helps you to reduce stress, check out our blog post to find out more.
2. Freestyle is the name of a swimming event.
3. The front crawl is the most popular stroke in the freestyle event, it is so popular that people tend to call it the freestyle.
4. The front crawl is the fastest and most efficient stroke.
5. The oldest stroke form is the breaststroke.
6. Swimming was first introduced at the Olympics in 1896.
7. People could have started swimming from as early as 2500BC based on ancient drawings and paintings found in Egypt.
8. The first recorded swimming races were held in Japan in 36BC
9. When swimming breaststroke and butterfly stroke, swimmers are required to finish their swim with both hands touching the wall simultaneously.
10. When swimming freestyle and backstroke, swimmers are required to finish their swim with only one hand.
11. It is possible to dehydrate while swimming.
12. There were 1,308 participants in the world’s largest swimming lesson and was achieved by the World Waterpark Association (USA) at Sun-N-Fun Lagoon in Naples, Florida, USA, on 20 June 2014.
Do you happen to know any other fun facts about swimming? We would love to hear from you! Leave a comment below 🙂
Largest swimming lesson (single venue). Guinness World Records. Retrieved 9 July 2015.
FINA Swimming Rules, 2013-2017. Fédération Internationale de Natation.